What is JBFI Financial Coaching?
Most people know what they need to do – increase earnings, decrease expenses, and invest the difference. But knowing is different than doing. Often times it is hard to figure out where to start, and where to focus efforts and actions. If you look up “personal finance” or “financial independence” on the web, there is a huge amount of information and seemingly conflicting advice which can lead to inaction. And if you do what everyone else does (for example, nothing!), you will get what everyone else gets – that sadly means working longer and in some cases, a job that is not satisfying or fulfilling. This is where a financial coach comes in. The truth is, it doesn’t need to be complicated. Similar to how a personal trainer can help you get physically fit, a financial coach can help you get financially fit and achieve financial independence sooner by:
Introducing the concept of Financial Independence and showing how conventional wisdom may be leading us all astray – there is no rule that says you have to work until you are 65+ years old
Coaching you through JBFI’s proprietary approach of organizing and tracking your finances to create visibility of where you stand financially. Once your financial situation is clear, we work together to set goals, and more importantly establish a system to achieve those goals including prioritizing high impact actions
Helping you change your money mindset and overcome limiting beliefs, including controlling bad money habits and encouraging good money habits
Showing you how to align your earnings and spending with your values – $5 coffee purchases are great as long as you get value from them!
Acting as your accountability partner and empowering your financial independence journey – help you stay on track, and work with you to evaluate alternatives you may not have thought of on your own
Helping you find a comfortable pace to approach financial independence (no “one-size fits all”). Those who already get great fulfillment out of their job may choose to take a slower path, while those who are just working for the paycheque may want to try to expedite things or consider a career change to do more fulfilling work (even if that means taking a pay cut) – the key is that YOU should control and choose your pace and path, not your employer!
What does the JBFI Financial Coaching Program Look like?
A four-month program including 10 sessions of customized / personalized one-to-one financial coaching (more may be required depending on your circumstance). Core sessions include:
Organizing and tracking your finances like a business
Monthly financial check-ins
Financial Independence 101
Aligning your earnings and spending with your values
Constructing your savings and/or debt pay down strategy
Setting SMART goals and planning for the future
All participants will be given access to a Microsoft Excel
or Google Sheets template (your choice) to track your income/expenses/savings/networth along the way
E-mail and/or phone support is available throughout the four months
Initial meet-and-greet held in person (if able to meet in Edmonton, AB) with subsequent meetings held virtually
Jonathan is an Edmonton, AB Canada based financial coach – however, is available to coach clients globally via Zoom/Skype/Google Meet. Besides some Canadian tax-specific nuances, the program is suitable for clients in any country
Commitment is key – having a financial coach requires an upfront and ongoing time commitment that will pay off for the rest of your life
What results can you expect from the program?
An intermediate level of financial literacy
Increased money consciousness – always know where you stand
Reduced stress and anxiety caused by financial uncertainty
Reduction or elimination of debt and/or more savings than you thought possible
Increased confidence about money and a feeling of abundance
This is not a get rich quick scheme. Building wealth takes time – you will unlikely be financially independent in 4 months but the program will set the foundation for a lifetime of wealth accumulation
Get excited about your Journey to Be Financially Independent!
No matter how much income you make and where you are on your Journey to Be Financially Independent, I want you to get excited about your path going forward! Anyone can achieve financial independence and it doesn’t need to take 40 or 50 working years. Don’t be discouraged if you are just starting, feeling behind or under water – the most important factor that will lead to your financial independence is your savings rate (not your income) and the combination of small actions that you take starting today can compound into huge wins that can dramatically decrease the time to financial independence.
Remember, “You are where you are and what you are because of yourself. Everything you are today or ever will be in the future is up to you. Your life today is the sum total of your choices, decisions and actions up to this point. You can create your own future by changing your behaviors. You can make new choices and decisions that are more consistent with the person you want to be and the things you want to accomplish with your life.” – Brian Tracy
Take the first action today and sign up for a free / no obligation consultation to learn more about the program and see if it is a good fit for you:
If you have any follow-up questions, see the FAQs below and/or e-mail me at email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions:
What happens when the formal 4-month program concludes?
- Optional monthly/quarterly/annual meetings for continued accountability
- Add-on sessions available based on your wants/needs/interests – highly customized for each individual/couple depending on their personal circumstance
Why is Jonathan qualified to coach me?
- Jonathan developed the JBFI coaching program through his experience and trial-and-error on his own Journey to Financial Independence over the last decade. He has first-hand experienced on what worked for him, what didn’t, and what actions should be prioritized to make the journey easier. He is an expert in personal finance who has read hundreds of books, articles and blogs over the last 15+ years
- For a full bio, click here: http://jbfi.ca/about_contact/jb_bio/
How much does it cost?
If you can’t afford financial coaching, you need financial coaching!
- The cost for the full 4-month financial coaching program (10 sessions) is $1,500.
- If this feels like sticker shock, we hope this will give you some comfort – the #1 JBFI core value is Client Value. What does that mean? We only want to provide coaching services where value-add will exceed the cost of the program itself. JBFI Inc. was created to help people achieve financial independence, not hinder their progress. If you don’t see an incremental improvement in your financial situation through the 4-month program (over and above the fee that you pay), I will give you a refund, guaranteed. Therefore, the program itself is completely risk free to you
Why do we charge?
- We charge for coaching services to cover operational costs and the coach’s time – this helps us develop additional content to encourage others to pursue financial independence. We truly believe that financial coaching can drastically improve one’s quality of life since once your finances are in order, it is so much easier for everything else to fall in to place
- Skin in the game – often times when you pay for a program you are likely to take the commitment more seriously than something that is free of charge
How is a JBFI Financial Coach different from:
An investment advisor?
- An investment advisor is generally only interested in working with you once you are well on your way to financial independence, having already accumulated a significant amount of investable assets (some investment advisors won’t work with you unless your investable assets are above $500,000 to $1 million). Investment advisors are able to help you invest your hard-earned nest egg but won’t necessarily work with you to understand the fundamentals of personal finance and wealth building. Since investment advisors sell financial products (with various compensation schemes), potential for conflict of interest do exist. Also, some investment advisors are not fiduciaries (i.e. they don’t necessarily have to act in your best interest). That said, there are many good investment advisors that do act in your best interest and there are solutions to the conflicts of interest (e.g. fee-only or fee-based solutions)
- A JBFI financial coach will work with you no matter where you are on your Journey to Be Financial Independent. For many, this means first focusing on the fundamentals of personal finance that will help you develop a system to build wealth over time. A coach will not advise you on your investment decisions or sell you financial products, therefore is unbiased and free of conflicts of interest
A tax specialist?
- A financial coach will not provide you with advanced tax advice – that is for the accounting professionals. That said, a JBFI financial coach can help you realize some tax optimization through simple tax reduction strategies (e.g. in Canada, contributing to tax-advantaged accounts such as Registered Savings Plan (RSP), Tax-Free Savings Account (TFSA), Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP), etc.
Other specialists (insurance agent, lawyer, etc.)?
- A financial coach will help you understand the need for risk management tools (such as insurance) and the importance of having an estate plan (will, power of attorney, and personal directive), but will not sell you insurance or write up your will (that’s for the insurance agents or lawyers).
Financial bloggers focused on frugality?
I realize that frugality isn’t for everyone and I strongly believe that everyone’s journey should be customized to their individual needs and preferences
- Some people will choose a more frugal route to financial independence that is focused on cutting expenses to save more
- Some will choose a route that involves earning more while maintaining a higher level of spending
- Others will choose to work longer rather than rush to financial independence
The bottom line is that a JBFI financial coach is completely independent and unbiased – doesn’t sell financial products and receive commissions that could compromise independence. However if you need any of the other services above, we can refer you to other professionals that are known and trusted by JBFI. Most of what a financial coach focuses on are foundational personal finance principles that will help you develop the right habits and take action towards earning more and/or spending less to accumulate money that will work for you – so that you don’t have to work for money!